Suspected Jihadists Kills 24 Malian Soldiers In Ambush
A weekend ambush on a military convoy in central Mali left 24 soldiers dead and an unspecified number missing, the army said Monday, blaming the assault on jihadists.
In posts on social media, the army did not enumerate the missing but said eight soldiers escaped the attack on around a dozen vehicles Sunday at Bouka Were, around 100 kilometres (60 miles) from the border with Mauritania.
It was the latest in a string of assaults by jihadists who unleashed a revolt in northern Mali in 2012 that has spread to Burkina Faso and Niger despite the presence of thousands of French and UN troops.
A senior military official said earlier that some of the vehicles were able to extricate themselves from the ambush, but that of the 64 troops who had been in the convoy, only about 20 were present at a roll call, the source said.
“A search is under way to determine the fate of soldiers who have been listed missing,” he said on condition of anonymity.
Another military officer and an official in the nearby town of Diabaly, who also asked not to be named, confirmed his account.
The Islamist insurgency, mainly led by groups linked to Al-Qaeda or the so-called Islamic State group, has claimed thousands of military and civilian lives and forced hundreds of thousands from their homes.
Violence in recent months has engulfed central Mali, an ethnic mosaic where the state exercises little control and jihadist atrocities feed tit-for-tat assaults among rival communities.
The al-Qaeda-linked group Katiba Macina, led by an ethnic Fulani (Peul) called Amadou Koufa, is recruiting among the Fulani herding community, which has long been at odds with the Bambara and Dogon farming groups. These groups, in turn, have created their own “self-defence” organisations.
On Saturday, two Egyptian soldiers with the UN peacekeeping force MINUSMA were killed when their convoy came under attack in northwestern Mali, the United Nations said.
– Keita under pressure –
The violence has weakened the hand of President Ibrahim Boubacar Keita, who is facing a rising clamour of protest and demands for political renewal.
Tens of thousands of people rallied in the capital Bamako on June 5 on the heels of demonstrations in May over the outcome of parliamentary elections, which the president won, as well as over coronavirus restrictions.
More protests have been scheduled for this Friday.
Keita, who has been in power since 2013 in the former French colony, on Sunday reached out to the coalition behind the protests, saying, “My door is open and my hand always extended.”
After jihadist attacks surged in February, Keita broke with precedent to say that he was seeking to forge a dialogue with certain rebel leaders.
“The number of deaths in the Sahel is becoming exponential and it’s time that certain paths be explored,” he said in an interview with French media.
However, Keita said at the time of his announcement that he had not received a response from jihadist leaders, and indications have yet to emerge that any such dialogue has developed.
CTV
Discover more from NEWS CORNER
Subscribe to get the latest posts sent to your email.
Warning: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable in /home/mynewsco/public_html/wp-content/themes/trendyblog-theme/includes/single/post-tags-categories.php on line 7
About author
You might also like
Orji Kalu speaks out, says South-East is Marginalized in Buhari’s Government.
Share on WhatsApp A chieftain of the All Progressives Congress, APC and former governor of Abia State, Orji Uzor Kalu has insisted that the South East region is being marginalized.
APC Codemns Postponement of General Elections, sues for Patience
Share on WhatsApp The All Progressives Congress, APC Presidential Campaign Council, has condemned postponement of the general elections by INEC, but urged its supporters to remain resolute, patient and determined.
Tourists Flock to Australia’s Uluru for last Ever Climb
Share on WhatsApp Hundreds of tourists flocked to Uluru Friday for one last chance to climb the sacred site ahead of a ban, despite heavy winds preventing early attempts to
Imo 2019: Okigwe APC throws weight behind Uche Nwosu, says he is Honest and Transparent
Share on WhatsApp All Progressives Congress party faithful in Okigwe zone are told to embrace peace to realize their set objective. The Chief of Staff, Government House, Chief Uche Nwosu
ICON Student Nurses Refute Alleged N400,000 Fee By Imo Education Commissioner
Share on WhatsApp Student Nurses of Imo State College of Nursing Sciences Orlu ( ICON) have described the alleged #400,000 per session fee against the College management as reported in
Yuletide: Orient FM/TV Boss, Onyegbule Urges Imolites to Spread Love, Celebrate with Purpose
Share on WhatsApp ThankGod EMEH… The General Manager of Imo Broadcasting Corporation, IBC Owerri, Lady Ify Onyegbule has called on Imolites to celebrate the Yuletide season with love and sole








0 Comments
No Comments Yet!
You can be first to comment this post!