Sons of Murdered Saudi Journalist Khashoggi ‘Forgive’ Killers
The sons of murdered Saudi journalist Jamal Khashoggi said Friday they “forgive” the killers of their father, a move analysts said effectively grants clemency to five convicts on death row.
Khashoggi — a royal family insider turned critic — was killed and dismembered at the kingdom’s consulate in Istanbul in October 2018, in a case that tarnished the reputation of de facto ruler Crown Prince Mohammed bin Salman.
His family’s pardon is expected to spare the lives of five unnamed people sentenced to death over the murder in a December court ruling, which was lambasted by human rights groups after two top aides to the crown prince were exonerated.
“On this holy night of this blessed month (of Ramadan)… we the sons of martyr Jamal Khashoggi announce we forgive and pardon those who killed our father,” the Washington Post columnist’s son Salah Khashoggi said on Twitter.
Saudi authorities did not immediately comment on the legal ramifications of the announcement from Salah, who resides in the kingdom and has denied reports of a financial settlement with the government.
AFP / Sophie RAMISThe murder of Jamal Khashoggi“What this essentially means is that the killers will avoid capital punishment” as the family reserved the right to forgive them under Islamic sharia law, Ali Shihabi, a Saudi author and analyst close to the government said on Twitter.
“Other legal procedures by the state continue.”
Analyst Nabeel Nowairah too said the family’s declaration during the Muslim fasting month of Ramadan effectively means the “murderers will not be executed”.
The announcement drew anger from Khashoggi’s fiancee Hatice Cengiz, who said “no one” had the right to pardon his murderers.
“His ambush and heinous murder does not have a statute of limitations,” Cengiz said on Twitter.
“We will not pardon the killers nor those who ordered the killing.”
Khashoggi, a 59-year-old critic of the crown prince, was strangled and his body cut into pieces by a 15-man Saudi squad inside the consulate, according to Turkish officials. His remains have not been found.
Riyadh has described the murder as a “rogue” operation, but both the CIA and a United Nations special envoy have directly linked Prince Mohammed to the killing, a charge the kingdom vehemently denies.
- ‘Tremendous pressure’ –
Salah has previously said he has “full confidence” in the judicial system, and criticised opponents he said were seeking to exploit the case.
Citing sharia law, Shihabi said Khashoggi’s family reserved the right to “demand financial compensation from the murderers”.
The Washington Post reported last year that Khashoggi’s children, including Salah, had received multi-million-dollar homes and were being paid thousands of dollars per month by authorities.
Saudi Royal Palace/AFP/File / Bandar AL-JALOUDThe CIA and a United Nations special envoy have directly linked de facto ruler Crown Prince Mohammed bin Salman to the killing, a charge the kingdom vehemently deniesSalah rejected the report, denying discussing a financial settlement with Saudi Arabia’s authoritarian rulers.
“It is sad to see Khashoggi’s sons have to endure further humiliation at the hands of the Saudi establishment with their so-called forgiveness of their father’s killers,” Bessma Momani, a professor at Canada’s University of Waterloo, told AFP.
“To suggest that this act of forgiveness was voluntary is to ignore the tremendous political and social pressure likely being exerted on the sons from the same centre of political power that was behind their father’s killing.”
The UN special rapporteur on extrajudicial, summary or arbitrary executions, Agnes Callamard, slammed the move in a statement as “the final act in (Saudi Arabia’s) well-rehearsed parody of justice in front of an international community far too ready to be deceived.”
Out of 11 individuals indicted in the case — most of whom remain unnamed — five were sentenced to death, three face jail terms totalling 24 years and the others were acquitted, according to the public prosecutor.
The December verdict, condemned by human rights groups as a travesty of justice, underscored Saudi efforts to draw a line under the crisis as it seeks to reboot its international image ahead of this year’s G20 summit in Riyadh.
Saudi prosecutors had said deputy intelligence chief Ahmed al-Assiri oversaw Khashoggi’s killing and the US Treasury had claimed the royal court’s media czar Saud al-Qahtani was “part of the planning and execution” of the operation that led to the murder.
AFP/File / Amer HILABIThe announcement by Salah Khashoggi could spare the lives of five unnamed people sentenced to death over the murder in a December court rulingQahtani was investigated but not indicted “due to insufficient evidence” and Assiri was charged, but eventually acquitted on the same grounds, according to the public prosecutor.
Both aides were part of Prince Mohammed’s tight-knit inner circle and were formally sacked over the killing, but only Assiri appeared in the court hearings, according to Western sources.
burs-mah-ac/sw/
Discover more from NEWS CORNER
Subscribe to get the latest posts sent to your email.
Warning: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable in /home/mynewsco/public_html/wp-content/themes/trendyblog-theme/includes/single/post-tags-categories.php on line 7
About author
You might also like
‘I Did Nothing Wrong’, Trump Says Ahead Of Impeachment Vote
Share on WhatsApp President Donald Trump on Wednesday insisted he had done “nothing wrong” ahead of a vote in the House of Representatives where he faces becoming the third US
EGOGA Gets New Exco, Awards Members, Launches Website
Share on WhatsApp The Egbu Girls Old Girls Association, Owerri, Imo State (EGOGA) has ended its 3rd Reunion and Winifred Hubbard lecture with the election of a new set of
South Korea Returns To Normal As COVID-19 Outbreak Fight Intensifies
Share on WhatsApp South Korea returned largely to normal Wednesday as workers went back to offices, and museums and libraries reopened under eased social distancing rules after new coronavirus cases
FEC approves 2019 budget proposals.
Share on WhatsApp The Federal Executive Council(FEC) presided over by President Muhammadu Buhari, on Friday in Abuja has approved the 2019 Executive Budget Proposals. Minister of Budget and National Planning,
‘Women Are Being Forced To Sell Their Kidneys In Sri Lanka’
Share on WhatsApp Sri Lankan war widows and women in former conflict zones are being forced to sell their kidneys to pay loan sharks, a UN expert said Tuesday, urging
UEFA Bans Ronaldo for Pitch Misconduct
Share on WhatsApp Star player Cristiano Ronaldo may cease playing for his club side- Juventus for their Champions League quarter-final against Ajax as he is reportedly being investigated by UEFA








0 Comments
No Comments Yet!
You can be first to comment this post!