DSS Releases Sowore, Bakare
The Department of State Services (DSS) has released the convener of the Revolution Now protest, Omoyele Sowore and his co-defendant, Olawale Bakare.
They were released at exactly 7:15 pm on Thursday, hours after Justice Ijeoma Ojukwu of the Federal High Court in Abuja, had expressed displeasure over their continued detention by the agency.
Subsequently, Ojukwu ordered that the defendants be released within the next 24 hours and adjourned the case till Friday, December 6, for a report of compliance.
However, before the expiration of the order, they were both released to their lawyer, Mr Femi Falana, whom the agency had earlier said was not the right person to release the defendants to.
According to a lawyer in Falana’s chambers, Marshal Abubakar, the defendants were released at 7.15 pm on Thursday.
It would be recalled that the DSS lawyer, Hassan Liman (SAN) had assured journalists shortly after the court session on Thursday morning that his client would comply with the order of the court.
“I want to say once again that the DSS has not at any time refused or failed to comply with the court order. What we have done today is to go a step further to say that the DSS no longer wants Mr. Sowore in their custody,” Liman had said.
“Definitely when somebody is granted bail he will be released to the main person that has served as his surety. Nobody, I repeat has gone to the DSS to take Mr. Sowore and co. on bail.
“The court has made an order to release them forthwith. But the DSS has not at anytime, refused to comply with court order. And that is why the DSS filed an application today that they no longer want them in their custody.
“The court has adjourned till tomorrow for us to report whether or not that order has been complied with. But I still say there has not been any violation of court order. He will be released definitely.
“In terms of court order and the conditions of bail, when you come tomorrow you will know if that has been complied with. I still say there has not been any violation of court order”.
Sowore, who is the Publisher of the online news platform, Sahara Reporters, and a presidential candidate in the February 2019 elections, was arrested on August 3 – just days to a planned protest against “bad governance” in the country.
Consequently, both him and his co-defendant are facing seven counts bordering on conspiracy to commit treasonable felony in breach of Section 516 of the Criminal Code Act, money laundering and cybercrimes, amongst others.
They pleaded not guilty to the charge and were granted bail on October 4, in the sum of N100m and N50m respectively with two sureties in like sum.
They, however, were not released until today.
…CTV
Discover more from NEWS CORNER
Subscribe to get the latest posts sent to your email.
Warning: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable in /home/mynewsco/public_html/wp-content/themes/trendyblog-theme/includes/single/post-tags-categories.php on line 7
About author
You might also like
Bob Njemanze VS Eze Okeke And 28 Imo Traditional Rulers: FCT Abuja High Court Fixes Nov. 20 For Hearingย
Share on WhatsApp A high court sitting in the Federal capital territory, Abuja has fixed November 20, 2024 for hearing on a matter before it with the suit No: FCT/HC/CV/1992/2024
Enugu Govt Collaborates With UNICEF, Others To Tackle Mother, Child Nutritional Deficiency
Share on WhatsApp BY EMMANUEL CHUKWUMA, ENUGU As part of measures towards tackling challenges mitigating against healthy living for mothers children, and newborn babies such as poor nutrition, the Enugu
Gov Soludo Clears Air For Setting off From Okpoko, says “For me, it is One Anambra, one People, one Agenda
Share on WhatsApp ThankGod Emeh. The newly inaugurated Executive Governor of Anambra state, Prof. Charles Chukwuma Soludo following heated criticisms in some quarters questioning his assumption and commencement of work
Trump Calls On Apple To Move Production From China To US
Share on WhatsApp US President Donald Trump on Saturday called for Apple to make its products in the US instead of China to avoid suffering the consequences of his trade
40 Days in Police Custody: Mbaise People in Severe Shock Over Continued Detention of Eze Leo Nwokocha
…-Appeal for Gov. Uzodinma’s Intervention
Share on WhatsApp After more than forty days in Police custody, the people of Mbaise in Imo state have expressed shock that despite their serial plea to appropriate authorities for
Thousands Face Uncertainty as Philippine Volcano Spews ๐ Lava
Share on WhatsApp Taal volcano in the Philippines could spew lava and ash for weeks, authorities warned Tuesday, leaving thousands in limbo after they fled their homes fearing a massive








0 Comments
No Comments Yet!
You can be first to comment this post!