Twitter Removes President Bolsonaro Tweets Questioning Virus Quarantine, Expands Global Rules
Two tweets by Brazilian president Jair Bolsonaro in which he questioned quarantine measures aimed at containing the novel coronavirus were removed Sunday, on the grounds that they violated the social network’s rules.
The far-right leader had posted several videos in which he flouted his government’s social distancing guidelines by mixing with supporters on the streets of Brasilia and urging them to keep the economy going.
Two of the posts were removed and replaced with a notice explaining why they had been taken down.
Twitter explained in a statement that it had recently expanded its global rules on managing content that contradicted public health information from official sources and could put people at greater risk of transmitting COVID-19.

In one of the deleted videos, Bolsonaro tells a street vendor, “What I have been hearing from people is that they want to work.”
“What I have said from the beginning is that ‘we are going to be careful, the over-65s stay at home,'” he said.
“We just can’t stand still, there is fear because if you don’t die of the disease, you starve,” the vendor is seen telling Bolsonaro, who responds: “You’re not going to die!”
In another video, the president calls for a “return to normality,” questioning quarantine measures imposed by governors and some mayors across the giant South American country as an effective containment measure against the virus.
“If it continues like this, with the amount of unemployment what we will have later is a very serious problem that will take years to be resolved,” he said of the isolation measures.
“Brazil cannot stop or we’ll turn into Venezuela,” Bolsonaro later told reporters outside his official residence.
On Saturday, Health Minister Luiz Henrique Mandetta highlighted the importance of containment as a means of fighting the pandemic, which has already infected 3,904 people in Brazil, leaving 114 dead, according to the latest official figures.
“Some people want me to shut up, follow the protocols,” said Bolsonaro. “How many times does the doctor not follow the protocol?”
“Let’s face the virus with reality. It is life, we must all die one day.”
In the four videos posted on his Twitter account, Bolsonaro is seen surrounded by small crowds as he walked about the capital.
Bolsonaro has described the coronavirus as “a flu” and advocated the reopening of schools and shops, with self-isolation necessary solely for the over-60s.
…AFP
Discover more from NEWS CORNER
Subscribe to get the latest posts sent to your email.
Warning: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable in /home/mynewsco/public_html/wp-content/themes/trendyblog-theme/includes/single/post-tags-categories.php on line 7
About author
You might also like
FG set to implement new import-export guidelines come 1st January – Kemi Adeosun
Share on WhatsApp The Federal Government is set to implement a new Import and Export Guidelines on January 1, 2018, as part of its policy of enhancing the ease of
ICJ orders Uganda to pay $325m for DR Congo occupation
Share on WhatsApp Uganda has been ordered to pay £325m (£240m) to the Democratic Republic of Congo for its role in the conflict there.The International Court for Justice ruled Uganda
UPDATE ON EMEKUKU EZESHIP DISPUTE: Court Adjourns To October 27, Also Missing of Constitution Page Sparks Controversy
Share on WhatsApp A Magistrate Court sitting in Owerri has on Thursday last week adjourned the matter on Emekuku autonomous community Ezeship dispute brought before it by one Calistus Ejeshi
Imo Online Media Practitioners Inaugurates New EXCOS
Share on WhatsApp Sunday March 8, 2020 marked a new dawn in the history of Online Media Practitioners Association of Nigeria, OMPAN, Imo State Chapter as the association Inaugurates her
Searching ‘Racist’ on Twitter Brings Up Trump As Top Result
Share on WhatsApp US President Donald Trump appears as the first result of suggested accounts when users type “racist” into Twitter’s people search, it emerged Wednesday. The result, reported by
NDF Country Director Congratulates Hon. Barr. Rex Anunobi on His new Appointment
Share on WhatsApp The Nigeria Diaspora Forum, NDF’s Country Director in Abuja Nigeria Hon. Chike Amadichi has congratulated Hon. Barr. Rex Anunobi (Sokom) on his new appointment as the Honourable








0 Comments
No Comments Yet!
You can be first to comment this post!