Trump says He is Taking Hydroxychloroquine
President Donald Trump on Monday made the surprise announcement that he is taking hydroxychloroquine, an anti-malaria drug that his own government experts say is not suitable for fighting the novel coronavirus.
Trump, noting that he has tested negative for the virus and shows no symptoms, said he’d been taking the drug as a preventative measure for about a week and a half.
“I take a pill every day,” he said, adding that he combines this with zinc.
Asked why, he said: “Because I think it’s good. I’ve heard a lot of good stories.”
Trump has shown interest for weeks in promoting the use of hydroxychloroquine, even if some doctors think it does not work for coronavirus patients and US government regulators warn it has “not been shown to be safe.”
House Speaker Nancy Pelosi said it’s “not a good idea” for Trump to be taking the drug as a potential treatment for the coronavirus.
US President Donald Trump says he is using hydroxychloroquine, a malaria drug that US government regulators warn has “not been shown to be safe”“I would rather he not be taking something that has not been approved by the scientists, especially in his age group and in his, shall we say, weight group, which is morbidly obese, they say,” Pelosi said during an appearance on CNN’s “Anderson Cooper 360.”
“So, I think that it’s not a good idea,” she added.
Senate Minority Leader Chuck Schumer called Trump’s decision to take the drug “reckless.”
“It gives people false hope, has people avoid real medical attention, and can actually cause them trouble. It is just dangerous what he did,” Schumer said on MSNBC.
Trump’s latest remarks came out of the blue, immediately grabbing headlines on a day when US deaths from COVID-19 topped 90,000 people — almost a third of the total world toll.
“You’d be surprised at how many people are taking it, especially the front-line workers, before you catch it. The front-line workers — many, many are taking it. I happen to be taking it,” he let slip to reporters attending a White House meeting devoted to the struggling restaurant industry.
“I’m taking it, hydroxychloroquine, right now, yeah. A couple of weeks ago, I started taking it,” he said.
Trump has often played down the dangers of coronavirus, including last week when he said it threatened only a small number of people. He also pointedly refuses to wear a mask, despite federal recommendations to do so and the fact that most of his staff have taken to covering their faces in public.
A personal valet to Trump has tested positive for the coronavirus, as has Katie Miller, Vice President Mike Pence’s press secretary.
– ‘Reckless’ –
Trump said his use of the medicine was approved by the White House physician, Sean Conley. However, Trump insisted that he, not the doctor, took the first step.
“I asked him, ‘what do you think?’ He said, ‘if you’d like it.’ I said ‘yeah, I’d like it.'”
Conley later issued a statement saying that he had agreed to Trump using the anti-viral drug “after numerous discussions” between them about the pros and cons.
“We concluded the potential benefit from treatment outweighed the relative risk,” Conley said.
Trump said he has received many “positive calls” from people, whom he did not identify, telling him about the malaria drug. He mentioned a letter he’d received from a New York doctor, also unidentified, who reported giving the medicine to hundreds of patients and “I haven’t lost one.”
By contrast, the government’s Food and Drug Administration warns against giving hydroxychloroquine for either prevention or treatment of the coronavirus, noting reported side effects including “serious heart rhythm problems in patients with COVID-19.” Only emergency use is authorized under temporary rules.
Earlier this month, a medical paper out of New York suggested that combining hydroxychloroquine with the dietary supplement zinc sulfate, which has antiviral properties, could create a more effective treatment against coronavirus.
But Matthew Heinz, an Arizona doctor who served under Barack Obama’s government, said medicines like hydroxychloroquine are not “benign” and open for unregulated use.
“I cannot stress enough how reckless it is to encourage anybody to take hydroxychloroquine or any other unproven remedy,” he said in a statement.
Trump signalled, as he has throughout the crisis, that there was nothing to lose by trying possible treatments.
“It seems to have an impact, and maybe it does, maybe it doesn’t but if it doesn’t, you’re not going to get sick or die,” Trump said. “I take a pill every day. At some point I’ll stop.”
The president said again on Monday that he showed “zero symptoms.”
“Every couple days they want to test me, you know, for obvious reasons. I mean I am the president, so they want to test me. I don’t want to be tested but they want to test me,” he said. “I’ve shown always negative.”
AFP
Discover more from NEWS CORNER
Subscribe to get the latest posts sent to your email.
Warning: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable in /home/mynewsco/public_html/wp-content/themes/trendyblog-theme/includes/single/post-tags-categories.php on line 7
About author
You might also like
Grace Liberation Bible Ministries’ celebrates 7th year anniversary in grand style
Share on WhatsApp By Chigozie Uzosike One of the spiritually endowed Ministries’ in Imo State, Grace Liberation Bible Ministries International (GLBMI) on Sunday, third of August celebrated her 7th year
Biafra: Igbos are their own worst enemies – Senator Girei
Share on WhatsApp An All Progressive Congress (APC) Chieftain, Senator Abubakar Girei, has said Igbos are naive and the worst enemies of themselves. The ex-lawmaker, who represented Adamawa Central in
Former NUJ President,Waheed Odusile, Petrus Obi, Others Fingered in Fueling Crisis in the Union.
Share on WhatsApp There are clear indications that some elements within the Nigeria Union of Journalists are fighting hard to precipitate leadership crisis for the Comrade Chris Isiguzo-led National Working
Uzodimma Diverted 3b Naira Out of 5b Naira Palliative Fund From FG –Imo PDP Stakeholders
Share on WhatsApp The Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) Stakeholders in Imo State have raised alarm about the diversion and misappropriation of 5 billion naira palliative funds released to Imo State.
Community Leader Urges Govt To Create Jobs, As 10 Persons Die in Imo over illegal oil mining
Share on WhatsApp By Ikenna Orioha… Some Communities in Imo State have been thrown into mourning following the tragic and painful death of over 10 persons, who were mainly breadwinners.
NUJ ZONE C: I Promise Massive Welfare, Capacity Building, Professionalism –Innocent Igwe.
“I offer myself to serve the NUJ zone C for the post of Vice President because the Zone needs a humble personality, thorough bred professional, purposeful, achievement oriented, service driven and credible leadership to add immense value to journalism practice. These qualities I believe could not have been acquired in a fluke but through consistent and painstaking practice of professional journalism coupled with personal capacity building in leadership reinforced by the passion for service. For the past 26 years, I have…..








1 Comment
ሊንዳ ቴክኒሻን እያ።
July 30, 17:53My brother suggested I might like this website. He was totally right. This post actually made my day. You cann’t imagine just how much time I had spent for this information! Thanks!