Saudi Arabia Unbars Travel Restrictions On Women
Saudi Arabia on Tuesday began implementing a landmark reform allowing women over the age of 21 to receive passports and travel abroad without permission from a male “guardian”, authorities said.
The reform, announced earlier this month, weakens the restrictive guardianship system that has long been a symbol of repression against women.
“The passport department has started receiving applications for women aged 21 and above to issue or renew passports and to travel outside the kingdom without permission,” the department said on Twitter.
Women in the kingdom have long required permission from their male “guardians” — husband, father and other male relatives — for these tasks, a restriction that drew international censure.
The reform comes after high-profile attempts by women to escape alleged guardianship abuse despite a string of reforms by Crown Prince Mohammed bin Salman, including a landmark decree last year that overturned the world’s only ban on women drivers.
In other changes unveiled earlier this month, Saudi women were also granted the right to officially register childbirth, marriage or divorce and to be recognised as a guardian to children who are minors –- same as men.
The reforms were widely celebrated in the kingdom, but they also drew backlash from arch-conservatives, many of whom shared old video sermons on social media by Saudi clerics advocating guardianship laws.
Some also denounced the change as “unIslamic” in a society that traditionally sees men as protectors of women.
The reform comes as the OPEC petroleum producer reels from low oil prices and seeks to boost employment opportunities for women –- currently facing chronic joblessness.
AFP
Discover more from NEWS CORNER
Subscribe to get the latest posts sent to your email.
Warning: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable in /home/mynewsco/public_html/wp-content/themes/trendyblog-theme/includes/single/post-tags-categories.php on line 7
About author
You might also like
Orlu-Warehouse Motor Park Sealed, Mbaise road, Ama jk, other illegal parks to be visited Soon– Lasbrey Okafor
Share on WhatsApp The State Government has sealed Orlu illegal Motor Park situated at Warehouse Owerri and directed all the commercial buses loading there to relocate to government approved Motor
Imo Youths Vanguard Urged To Utilize Opportunities In Agricultural Biotechnology
Share on WhatsApp By Grace Ofurum… Open Forum on Agricultural Biotechnology ( OFAB) with the support of National Biotechnology Research Development Agency (NBRDA), has inaugurated biotechnology in Imo State Agricultural
COZA Pastor, Biodun Fatoyinbo Granted Bail
Share on WhatsApp Pastor Biodun Fatoyinbo of the Commonwealth of Zion Assembly has been granted bail. He is to produce two sureties who must be above level sixteen in the
Trump Determined, Seeks To Override Supreme Court Ruling On Census
Share on WhatsApp President Donald Trump said on Friday he was weighing an executive order to overcome a Supreme Court ruling blocking his administration from adding a question about citizenship
Imo NUJ Congratulates Uzodimma @64
…Commends his indelible footprints in infrastructural Development
Share on WhatsApp The Nigeria Union of Journalists, Imo state Council has congratulated the Governor, Senator Hope Uzodimma, on his 64th birthday celebration. Imo NUJ in a press release signed
FEDPOLYNEK Rector Meets NAISS Officials, Clears Air on No-Fee-No-Exam Policy, Discloses He Has Paid Fees For Over 50 Indigent Students
Share on WhatsApp The Rector of Federal Polytechnic Nekede, Engr. Dr. M.C. Arimanwa FNSE, JP, has met with officials of the National Association of Imo State Students (NAISS) who paid








0 Comments
No Comments Yet!
You can be first to comment this post!