New Virus Cases in China, New Zealand Sound Pandemic Alarm
More than two dozen new coronavirus cases in China and the first New Zealand infections in almost a month on Tuesday underlined the immense challenges still ahead in containing the deadly pandemic, even as some EU nations reopened their borders to fellow Europeans.
More than eight million people have now been infected with the virus worldwide since it first emerged in China late last year — with more than 435,000 deaths — and the tolls are still surging in Latin America and South Asia.
Caseloads have declined across Europe, however, and governments are keen to ease lockdowns that have saved lives but devastated economies — despite experts warning that restrictions will be required until a vaccine or effective treatment is developed.
The latest reminder of the threat came on Tuesday from China, which had largely brought its outbreak under control, as 27 new infections were reported in Beijing, where a new cluster linked to a wholesale food market has sparked mass testing and neighbourhood lockdowns.
“The epidemic situation in the capital is extremely severe,” Beijing city spokesman Xu Hejian warned, as the number of confirmed infections soared to 106.
And New Zealand reported its first cases in almost a month — two recent arrivals from Britain — prompting authorities to start tracing their movements.
The South Pacific nation had declared last week that it had ended community transmission of the virus.
While these cases have caused concern about the possibility of a full-blown resurgence in countries that have suppressed their outbreaks, the disease is gaining a worrying momentum in other regions with massive populations.
Known infections in India have crossed 330,000, and authorities already stretched by the COVID-19 outbreak are bracing for the monsoon season, which causes outbreaks of illness such as dengue fever and malaria every year.
With more than three decades as a doctor in India’s chronically underfunded public healthcare system, Vidya Thakur — medical superintendent at Mumbai’s Rajawadi Hospital — is used to managing “heavy burdens”.
But now, she says, “COVID-19 has left us helpless… and the monsoon will make things even more difficult.”
- Oscars postponed –
In Latin America, countries are struggling to contain the disease while trying to ease the crushing economic blow dealt by widespread lockdowns and social distancing measures.
Peru reported its economy shrank by more than 40 percent year-on-year in April, while Chile extended its state of emergency by three months as it struggles with a controversy over how it is counting COVID-19 deaths.
In the United States, the world’s worst-hit nation, there have been flare-ups in some states.
But President Donald Trump’s administration insists there will be no new economic shutdown even if a second wave hits.
A return to normal still looks distant, however, with the Oscars postponed by two months, the latest casualty of an already interrupted sports and entertainment calendar.
- Borders reopen in Europe –
After a gradual drop in new cases, European nations including Belgium, France, Germany and Greece lifted border restrictions hoping to boost tourism and travel over the summer months.
In Spain, a planeload of German tourists flew to the Balearic islands in an experimental pilot project.
In Brussels, Joy Kamel, a student travelling to join her father in France, waited to board a flight to Marseille.
“It’s been five months since I’ve seen him,” she told AFP. “I’m in the middle of exams, but since I’m taking them online, I might as well take advantage.”
burs-qan/hg
Discover more from NEWS CORNER
Subscribe to get the latest posts sent to your email.
Warning: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable in /home/mynewsco/public_html/wp-content/themes/trendyblog-theme/includes/single/post-tags-categories.php on line 7
About author
You might also like
#StartupSouth7: Imo Youths Resolve To Partner With The Government For A Sustainable Innovation Ecosystem
Share on WhatsApp Youths in Imo State made a commitment over the weekend to engage the government in ensuring its plan to train 300,000 young people on digital skills is
Massive Achievements: Imo NUJ Eulogizes FedPolyNek Rector, Arimanwa …describes Him As Media Friendly Rector
Share on WhatsApp ThankGod Emeh… The Nigeria Union of Journalists, Imo state Council has commended the renowned Digital Rector of Federal Polytechnic Nekede over his massive legacy projects in the
“I Will Never Quit Acting For Politics” – Yul Edochie assures fans
Share on WhatsApp In a recent interview with ‘Inside Nollywood’ the veteran actor turn politician Yul Edochie made it clear to his fans and followers that he will not quit acting
Activities marking Nigeria Army Day Celebration in Imo state
Share on WhatsApp Activities marking this year’s Nigeria Army Day Celebration in Imo state state kicks off today 30th June 2017 with Jumat prayers at the 34 Artillery Brigade Central
IMO PFN Land Dispute Emerges as Bishop Korie Allegedly Failed to Hand Over Landed Property
Share on WhatsApp The concerned PFN bishops and ministers in the state ably led by Archbishop Joshua Roberts Imoh are facing a dispute over landed property. Archbishop Joshua Imoh, President
US, Mexico, Canada Finalize Trade Deal
Share on WhatsApp The United States, Mexico and Canada signed a deal Tuesday to finalize their new trade agreement, paving the way to ratification after more than two years of








0 Comments
No Comments Yet!
You can be first to comment this post!