Illegal Migrants in Spain to enjoy Free Healthcare
Spain’s parliament approved Thursday a draft law tabled by the country’s new Socialist government which restores free healthcare for undocumented migrants, a right removed in 2012 by the former conservative administration.
While the Socialists have a minority of just 84 seats in the 350-seat assembly, the measure introduced by Prime Minister Pedro Sanchez shortly after he came to power in June passed with 177 votes in favour and 133 against.
It grants undocumented migrants access to public health “under the same conditions as people who have Spanish nationality.”
Sanchez’s conservative predecessor Mariano Rajoy withdrew the right to public healthcare for undocumented migrants in 2012 as part of a programme of spending cuts as Spain grappled with a financial crisis.
Several regional governments responded by giving undocumented migrants access to healthcare and Rajoy’s government in 2015 reinstated access to emergency healthcare.
“Health does not know borders, identity papers, or work permits,” Health Minister Carmen Monton told lawmakers before the measure was voted on.
Sanchez, who came to power after ousting Rajoy in a no-confidence vote, made global headlines in June by offering to take in a rescue ship that was drifting in the Mediterranean sea with 629 migrants on board. Italy and Malta had refused to let it dock.
The law resorting healthcare for undocumented migrants was approved with the support of the coalition of far-left and smaller regional parties which backed the Socialists in their no-confidence vote against Rajoy.
Conservative lawmaker Teresa Angulo accused the government of “opening wide the doors of Spain to health tourism”.
Parliament also passed a law creating over 300 public jobs aimed at processing migrants and asylum seekers.
Spain has become the main entry point for migrants arriving in Europe, after Italy and Greece. Over 33,000 migrants have arrived in Spain by sea and land so far this year, according to the International Organization for Migration.
AFP
Discover more from NEWS CORNER
Subscribe to get the latest posts sent to your email.
Warning: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable in /home/mynewsco/public_html/wp-content/themes/trendyblog-theme/includes/single/post-tags-categories.php on line 7
About author
You might also like
Suspected ATM Fraudster arrested in Enugu
Share on WhatsApp The Police Command in Enugu State has arrested a notorious suspected Automated Teller Machine (ATM) fraudster operating within Enugu and its environs. In a statement, the command’s
FG Told to Create Admissible Avenue to Enhance Productivity through MSMEs
Share on WhatsApp Ikenna Orioha Participants who effectively engaged in the 2019 National Stakeholders Engagement for the Review of the National Policy on Micro, Small and Medium Enterprises, MSMEs, have
Imo Bloggers, Social Media Influencers Hangout Records Success as Ibariogwa/Ikwokirikwo Villages CEO Play Host
Share on WhatsApp The first bloggers and social media hangout for year 2021 powered by Online Media Practitioners Association of Nigeria, OMPAN, has come and gone with huge success as
Imo Guber 2019: Uzodinma boils over suspension.
Share on WhatsApp The Imo State governorship candidate of the All Progressives Congress (APC) Senator Hope Uzodinma has reacted to the purported expulsion by a faction of the party led
Achonu Receives ‘Akaomajideaku’ Nzeship Title from Nkwerre Cultural, Traditional Institution
Share on WhatsApp By Ikenna OriohaJoy knew no bounds at Ukwuinyi Village of Nkwerre in Nkwerre local government area of Imo State on Saturday, 27th of July, 2019 as Sir
FG to commence Agric job creation programme for 360,000 youths across the country soon.
Share on WhatsApp The Federal Government has commenced steps to ensure quick commencement of the Federal Government’s agricultural initiative to provide jobs for 360,000 youths nationwide, the Governor, Central Bank








0 Comments
No Comments Yet!
You can be first to comment this post!