EU Backs WHO After Trump Pull-out Threat
The European Union-backed the World Health Organisation and multilateral efforts to fight the coronavirus on Tuesday after US President Donald Trump threatened to quit the global agency.
“This is the time for solidarity, not the time for finger-pointing or for undermining multilateral cooperation,” European foreign affairs spokeswoman Virginie Battu-Henriksson told reporters.
The EU has sponsored a motion at Tuesday’s session of the WHO’s annual assembly to urge an “impartial, independent and comprehensive evaluation” of the international response to the pandemic.
And the spokeswoman said: “The European Union backs the WHO in its efforts to contain and mitigate the COVID-19 outbreak and has already provided additional funding to support these efforts.”
Not for the first time, this puts Brussels in opposition to Washington, where Trump has accused the UN health agency of being too close to China and of being slow to react to the COVID-19 outbreak.
On Monday, the US leader — who has already frozen US funding for the WHO — wrote its director-general, Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus, to lay out the charges and threaten to pull out.
“They’re a puppet of China, they’re China-centric to put it nicer,” he explained.
Beijing has furiously denied the US allegations that it played down the threat and Chinese President Xi Jinping reiterated at the World Health Assembly that his nation had been “transparent” throughout the crisis.
Brussels is backing an independent inquiry into how the epidemic erupted and spread, but has tried to lead an international, multilateral response to the crisis and raise funds for vaccine research.
AFP
Discover more from NEWS CORNER
Subscribe to get the latest posts sent to your email.
About author
You might also like
Imo NUJ Condemns Attack on Gov. Uzodimma Country Home
Share on WhatsApp The Nigeria Union of Journalists (NUJ), Imo Council has condemned in its entirety the attack on the country home of the Imo State Governor, Sen Hope Uzodimma
NYCN Commends Ihedioha for Organizing Retreat for Govt Functionaries
Share on WhatsApp Ikenna Orioha. Chairman, National Youth Council of Nigeria, Imo State chapter, Comrade Chukwuemeka Isidor Chidozie, has commended His Excellency, Rt Hon Emeka Ihedioha, for organizing three days
Open Letter: Former OCDA Boss, Ikpamezie Writes Imolites On State of the Agency, Imo
Share on WhatsApp LETTER OF APPRECIATION TO NDI IMO; INDEED I AM NOBODY WITHOUT YOU Dear Imolites,It’s amazing how things unfold and spurs one to a whole brand new horizon.
Appeal Court Bars CCT From CJN’s Trial
Share on WhatsApp The Court of Appeal in Abuja has barred the Code of Conduct Tribunal (CCT) from proceeding with hearing in the false assets declaration filed against the Chief
Open Grazing: You’ve Embarrassed Imo People – Imo PDP Scribe, Emeana Hits Uzodinma Hard
Share on WhatsApp By Tunji Adedeji.The Secretary of the People’s Democratic Party (PDP) in Imo State and former member of the State House of Assembly, Nze Ray Emeana has lambasted
Revenue: IMSAA Meets With LGA IMC Chairmen, Solicits Support
Share on WhatsApp ThankGod Emeh, OWERRI. Imo Signage and Advertisement Agency, IMSAA has met with the Interim Management Committee(IMC) Chairmen of the 27 local government councils in the state to








0 Comments
No Comments Yet!
You can be first to comment this post!