Elders Calls For Boycott of Presidential Poll Over Kadhafi’s Bid
Elders from several cities called for a boycott of presidential elections and protesters shut voting stations in western Libya on Monday after former dictator Moamer Kadhafi’s son registered to run.
Seif al-Islam Kadhafi, whose whereabouts have been secret for years, on Sunday became the first heavyweight candidate to sign up for the December 24 poll.
But an influential council of elders from Misrata, a city which played a key role in the 2011 uprising that toppled his father, called for an election boycott.
The council rejects “the candidacy of those who used excessive force against the Libyan people’s uprising and who are the target of arrest warrants from Libyan courts and the International Criminal Court”, it said in a statement.
It urged “free patriots” to protest against the election taking place before a constitutional basis was agreed.
A member of the electoral commission, the HNEC, told AFP that “residents protesting at the candidacy of Seif al-Islam Kadhafi in presidential elections closed down several polling stations” in the west.
The official, who asked not to be named, said there had been no violence and voting stations had not been damaged.

Libya first ever direct presidential poll comes as the United Nations seeks to end a decade of violence since a revolt that toppled his father in 2011.
Seif al-Islam is wanted by the International Criminal Court (ICC) for crimes against humanity allegedly committed during the NATO-backed uprising.
But the HNEC said he had “completed all the required legal conditions” to run.
On Sunday, prominent figures in the western city of Zawiya “categorically rejected” presidential runs by both Kadhafi and eastern military strongman Khalifa Haftar, who is also widely expected to announce a bid.
A key part of a United Nations-led political process building on a ceasefire in October last year, the elections are opposed by some who argue there has been no agreement on their legal basis and the powers the winner would take.
Khaled al-Meshri, head of an interim High Council of State, has called for them to be delayed, saying they are “flawed” and “illegal”.
The HNEC says around 2.83 million voters have signed up to take part in the presidential and legislative polls due to start on December 24.
AFP
Discover more from NEWS CORNER
Subscribe to get the latest posts sent to your email.
Warning: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable in /home/mynewsco/public_html/wp-content/themes/trendyblog-theme/includes/single/post-tags-categories.php on line 7
About author
You might also like
INSECURITY: Ndigbo Have Lost Confidence in Govt – Chief Diwe
Share on WhatsApp Recently, the Association of South East Town Unions (ASETU) organised a two-day emergency security retreat in Enugu where all the Igbo communities at local government coordinating levels
Presidency Lambasts Journalists over Benue Killings
Share on WhatsApp Speaking while briefing State House correspondents at the presidential villa on Friday, the presidential senior special adviser on media and publicity, Mallam Garba Shehu strongly condemned what
Mugabe’s family, Government Disagree on Burial Place
Share on WhatsApp Family of Zimbabwe ex-President Robert Mugabe and the government are in loggerhead over the burial of the late elder statesman on Thursday, with the place and even
Imo Journalist, Eze Adiuku Emerges NUJ Vice President
Share on WhatsApp Imo State based journalist, Comrade Eze Adiuku, has been elected the new Vice President of the Nigeria Union of Journalists, NUJ for Zone C (South East).Comrade Adiuku
DNKI Commends Imo Governor On Measure Against Covid-19, Ends 3-day Health Retreat
Share on WhatsApp The Executive Governor of Imo State, Senator Hope Uzodinma has been commended for taking appropriate proactive measures which helped to put Corona Virus under control in the
Mothering Sunday: Activist, Uchechi Ogbonna, Felicitates Women …Describes Them As Precious Gifts
Share on WhatsApp By Ikenna Orioha… As Anglican Communion observes Mothering Sunday across the globe, a great mobilizer and youth activist, Amb. Mrs. Uchechi Ogbonna (Anyanwu Ututu), has heartily felicitated








2 Comments
լինդա տեխնիկ
July 30, 20:40My brother suggested I would possibly like this blog. He used to be totally right. This submit actually made my day. You cann’t believe just how much time I had spent for this information! Thank you!
լինդա տեխնիկ
July 30, 16:12Hey There. I found your blog using msn. This is a very well written article. I will be sure to bookmark it and come back to read more of your useful information. Thank you for the post. I will definitely comeback.