Coronavirus Not a Death Sentence – Prof. Iwu
Chairman, Imo COVID-19 Task Force, Prof. Maurice Iwu says that Coronavirus is not a death sentence as long as people take precautionary measures instructed by public health authorities.
Iwu made the assertion when members of the Nigeria Medical Association (NMA) COVID-19 Team, led by Dr Victor Dike, paid him a courtesy visit in his office on Wednesday in Owerri.
He noted that 90 per cent of virus diseases that affected people were not medical but hygiene induced.
“Viral infection is a health condition and not a medical condition and so there is need to separate the two,” he said.
Iwu commended the NMA for the solidarity visit, adding that the success recorded so far was as a result of their input and support.
He noted that the task force had three major approach to containing the spread of the virus in the state.
These included communication, education and protection, urging all Imo people to get involved.
He said the medical personel had a duty to communicate to and educate members of the public on what the virus was all about and how to conduct their lives in order not to contract it.
The taskforce chairman said the protection aspect raised some conceptional issues, hence the need for isolation centres.
“Coronavirus is real but not a death sentence.
“There are three vulnerable groups that we have to pay attention to and these are the older people, those with low immune system, and those in the healthcare sector so they will not fall victims at the end,” he said.
Earlier, Dike told Iwu that they were in his office to partner with the team in the fight against COVID-19.
He said there was need to inform Imo people on the status of the index cases in the state and for more aggressive communication in the rural areas on COVID-19.
Dike also called for enhanced welfare for the state’s health workers whom, he said, were being owed some arrears of salaries.
In another development, Iwu called on Imo people to strengthen existing infrastructure in the state and contribute toward containing the spread of COVID-19.
Iwu made the call when Trustees of the Imo Guild of Elders paid him a courtesy call in his office in Owerri.
He noted that the virus could only be contained through a focused and determined leadership and urged the elders to educate people that the virus is not a dead sentence but a disease that could be cured.
According to him, COVID-19 is avoidable and calls for more surveillance and monitoring among people in the communities especially on new entrances into the community or villages.
The Imo Guild of Elders led by Mr Charles Ugwu, a former Minister and Industralist, said the visit was to ascertain the progress so far made in containing the spread of the virus in the state and how they could be of help.
Discover more from NEWS CORNER
Subscribe to get the latest posts sent to your email.
About author
You might also like
Atiku meets Ohaneze Ndigbo ahead polls.
Share on WhatsApp The Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) presidential candidate, Atiku Abubakar has arrived Enugu for a meeting with members of the Igbo socio-political group, Ohaneze Ndigbo. The PDP flagbearer’s
Nigeria @57: Full text of President Buhari’s Speech
Share on WhatsApp President Muhammadu Buhari on Sunday morning, October 1, 2017 addressed Nigerians on the celebration of the country’s 57th Independence Anniversary. The president spoke on diverse issues of heating core
Obube Ancient Kingdom Agog …as Community Presents Eze-elect, Prince Onukogu
Share on WhatsApp It was a glorious and heartwarming day for the people of Obube Ancient kingdom in Owerri North local government area as the Royal family formally presented the Eze-Elect,
Atlanta Police Officer Charged With Murder For Shooting Black Man
Share on WhatsApp An Atlanta police officer has been charged with murder for shooting a 27-year-old man in the back, justice officials announced Wednesday in the latest case to spark
Chief Osita Chidoka Congratulates Prof. Soludo, Urges Him to Unlock Anambra
Soludo should be humbled by this clear mandate and call to action to renew our state underperforming below its potentials
UNICEF Condemns Female Genital Cutting
Share on WhatsApp Ikenna Orioha United Nations Children’s Fund, UNICEF, has condemned Female Genital Mutilation, Cutting and Massaging. UNICEF said the practice is obnoxious, as it violates the rights of








0 Comments
No Comments Yet!
You can be first to comment this post!