Rights Groups Kicks Against 10-Year Jail Term for Vietnam Blogger
The jailing of a Vietnamese blogger for 10 years was condemned by rights groups Tuesday as “unacceptable” and an attack on free speech.
Truong Duy Nhat, a regular contributor to Radio Free Asia, was found guilty in a brief trial Monday of defrauding the public of $560,000 when he worked for a state-owned newspaper in the central city of Danang in 2004, state media said.
Describing the sentence as “harsh and totally unacceptable”, Reporters Without Borders (RSF) called for the “immediate release” of Nhat who had posted articles critical of the government on his blog.
RSF ranked Vietnam 176th on its 2019 World Press Freedom Index as one of the world’s biggest jailers of journalists and bloggers.
“Officially convicted of abusing his professional position, he is in fact paying dearly for his professionalism,” said Daniel Bastard, RSF’s Asia-Pacific director.
Radio Free Asia also condemned the conviction as “unjust” and “a blow against free speech and free expression.”
All media in Vietnam is state-run and independent journalism and bloggers are banned.
Since its hardline leadership took power in 2016, the country’s single-party state has tightened its grip on criticism and different viewpoints.
This is Nhat’s second prison stint. He was jailed for two years in 2014 for “abusing democratic freedoms” for critical blog postings.
He was discovered in a Vietnamese prison in March last year after fleeing to Thailand seeking refugee status with the UN High Commissioner for Refugees.
The circumstances of Nhat’s return to Vietnam were never clarified by Hanoi.
Discover more from NEWS CORNER
Subscribe to get the latest posts sent to your email.
Warning: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable in /home/mynewsco/public_html/wp-content/themes/trendyblog-theme/includes/single/post-tags-categories.php on line 7
About author
You might also like
Imo Attack: Ejiogu Condemns Act, Says Two Wrongs Don’t Make a Right
Share on WhatsApp The Governorship candidate of the All Progressives Grand Alliance (APGA) in Imo state, Sir Tony Ejiogu has condemned the killing of eight security personnel at Oriagu, Ehime-Mbano
Memorial Service To Be Held For Floyd After Week of Protests
Share on WhatsApp A memorial service was to be held Thursday for George Floyd after more than a week of nationwide protests over the African American’s death at the hands
Nigeria Diaspora Forum Country Director Hon. Chike Amadichi Faults FG on the Proposed New Minimum Wage
Share on WhatsApp The Country Director of Nigeria Diaspora Forum, NDF. Hon Chike Amadichi have faulted moves by the Federal Government to implement a new Minimum Wage of forty-eight thousand
Edo Assembly Crisis: Professor Obiaraeri Speaks on Rule of Law
Share on WhatsApp A renowned Legal luminary, Professor Nnamdi Obiaraeri in reaction to the heated controversy surrounding the Edo House of Assembly Inauguration writes: Without prejudice to the matter in
Harassing Youths Won’t Stop Cybercrime –GYASO Boss, Casmir Nguzoro Tells EFCC
Share on WhatsApp By ThankGod Emeh, Owerri. Cybercrime, or computer-oriented crime is one committed against individuals or groups of individuals with a criminal motive to intentionally harm the reputation of
Collins Ughala Investitured into Knight of St Christopher
Share on WhatsApp By Ikenna Orioha. Owerri based journalist, Ughala Collins, has been investitured into the Order of Knight of St Christopher. Ughala and others were investitured into the Knighthood








0 Comments
No Comments Yet!
You can be first to comment this post!