China Says Trump ‘Shirking Responsibility’ To WHO
Beijing on Tuesday accused Donald Trump of smearing China and shirking American responsibilities to the World Health Organisation, after the US president threatened to pull out of the UN health body.
The American leader has been locked in a bitter war of words with Beijing, alleging it covered up the initial outbreak in central China late last year before the disease spread globally, causing economic devastation and claiming lives across the planet.
Trump on Monday called the WHO a “puppet of China” before tweeting a letter he had sent to the organisation’s chief Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus threatening to make permanent a temporary freeze on funding from the US.
China in response accused Trump of trying to “smear China” and “shirk responsibility and bargain over its international obligations to the WHO”, foreign ministry spokesman Zhao Lijian said at a regular press briefing Tuesday.
“The US leader’s open letter you mentioned is full of hints, ‘perhaps’, and ‘maybes’, and tries to use specious methods to mislead the public, and achieve the goals of smearing China’s anti-virus efforts, and shirk responsibility for the United States’ own insufficient response,” Zhao said.
“The US tries to use China as an issue to shirk responsibility and bargain over its international obligations to the WHO. This is a miscalculation and the US has picked the wrong target.”
More than 317,000 people have died of COVID-19 out of nearly 4.8 million infections worldwide, and governments are scrambling to contain the virus while seeking ways to resuscitate their hammered economies.
Zhao added the US was attempting to deflect from its own “insufficient prevention and control” against the virus.
With more fatalities and cases in the United States than any other country by far, under-pressure Trump has blamed the WHO for not doing enough to combat its initial spread.
“The only way forward for the World Health Organization is if it can actually demonstrate independence from China,” Trump’s letter read.
China urges the US to “stop shifting the blame” and instead focus on containing the virus, Zhao said at a regular press conference.
Earlier Monday the WHO said it would launch an independent review of the response to the coronavirus pandemic.
Beijing has furiously denied the US allegations that it played down the threat, and Chinese President Xi Jinping reiterated at the World Health Assembly that his nation had been “transparent” throughout the crisis.
AFP
Discover more from NEWS CORNER
Subscribe to get the latest posts sent to your email.
Warning: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable in /home/mynewsco/public_html/wp-content/themes/trendyblog-theme/includes/single/post-tags-categories.php on line 7
About author
You might also like
Embrace Spirit of Truth as you celebrate Easter –Amb Uju Charges Christians
Share on WhatsApp ThankGod Emeh… A notable journalist, dogged woman leader and human rights activist, Ambassador Chika Uju has in the spirit of the Easter celebration charged Christians world over
Customs intercept bulletproof jackets, drugs worth N3.6bn
Share on WhatsApp The Nigeria Customs Service, Federal Operations Unit, Zone A Ikeja said it intercepted 150 cartons of bulletproof jackets worth N1.687bn. Addressing journalists in Ikeja on Thursday, the
Lady killed in Anambra for dating a married man, Youths advised not to divide marriages.
Share on WhatsApp ThankGod Emeh, OWERRI. Youths have been advised to stay away from keeping intimate relationships with married men and women because it is a sin onto God and
As Strike Drags on, French Government to Unveil Pension Plan Details
Share on WhatsApp The French government will unveil the details of a pension reform plan Wednesday that has already seen workers down tools in anticipation, crippling transport for a week
ALGON Chairman receives Excellent Service Award from Global IMSU Alumni
Share on WhatsApp By Eleugu Mgbemgasa… Chairman, Association of Local Governments of Nigeria (ALGON), Imo State Chapter, Hon. Adm. Willie TC Okolieogwo, has received an Excellent Service Award from Global
NUJ extols DSS for improved relationship with journalists
Share on WhatsApp The National Executive Council (NEC) of the Nigeria Union of Journalists has passed a vote of confidence in the Director-General of the Department of State Services, citing








0 Comments
No Comments Yet!
You can be first to comment this post!