Judge Rules Against Equal Pay For US Women Soccer Team
A federal judge dismissed the United States women’s soccer team’s bid for equal pay on Friday, rejecting claims the players had been underpaid in a crushing defeat for the reigning world champions.
In a 32-page ruling, Judge Gary Klausner of the US District Court for Central California in Los Angeles tossed the women’s claim of pay discrimination, ruling in favour of the United States Soccer Federation.
Klausner did allow the women’s case for unfair treatment in areas such as travel, housing and medical support to proceed to trial, set for June 16 in Los Angeles.
But the judge said the equal pay claims — the central plank of the case — had been dismissed because there was evidence the women had turned down an offer to be paid along the lines of the US men’s team.
“The history of negotiations between the parties demonstrates that the WNT rejected an offer to be paid under the same pay-to-play structure as the MNT, and the WNT was willing to forgo higher bonuses for benefits, such as greater base compensation and the guarantee of a higher number of contracted players,” Klausner wrote.
“Accordingly, plaintiffs cannot now retroactively deem their CBA (collective bargaining agreement) worse than the MNT CBA by reference to what they would have made had they been paid under the MNT’s pay-to-play terms structure when they themselves rejected such a structure,” he said.
‘Shock, disappointment’
The US women were left stunned by their defeat on the pay issue. The women had been seeking back pay of $66 million under the Equal Pay Act.
Prominent US women’s team star Megan Rapinoe said after learning of the court’s decision that the battle is not over.
“We will never stop fighting for EQUALITY,” she wrote on Twitter.
A spokeswoman for the players reacted with dismay following Friday’s ruling.
“We are shocked and disappointed with today’s decision, but we will not give up our hard work for equal pay,” spokeswoman Molly Levinson said.
“We are confident in our case and steadfast in our commitment to ensuring that girls and women who play this sport will not be valued as lesser just because of their gender.
“We have learned that there are tremendous obstacles to change; we know that it takes bravery and courage and perseverance to stand up to them.”
The increasingly acrimonious lawsuit had taken a dramatic turn in March, when a filing by lawyers for the federation argued that US men’s team players required a “higher level of skill based on speed and strength” than the women.
The filing triggered outrage amongst the women’s players while influential sponsors such as Coca-Cola voiced disgust at the remarks.
USSF President Carlos Cordeiro later resigned following the uproar, with Rapinoe accusing the USSF of “blatant sexism” in its legal filings.
The US women, who clinched back-to-back World Cup wins with victory at last year’s finals in France, had based their claim for back pay in the disparities between prize money distributed by FIFA at the men’s and women’s World Cups.
Germany’s men won $35 million for their victory in the 2014 World Cup while France earned $38 million after triumphing in Russia in 2018.
The United States women, victors in the 2015 and 2019 World Cups, earned total prize money of $6 million over the two tournaments.
AFP
Discover more from NEWS CORNER
Subscribe to get the latest posts sent to your email.
Warning: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable in /home/mynewsco/public_html/wp-content/themes/trendyblog-theme/includes/single/post-tags-categories.php on line 7
About author
You might also like
Huddersfield appoint Siewert
Share on WhatsApp Huddersfield have appointed Jan Siewert as their new head coach on a two-and-a-half-year contract until 2021. The 36-year-old German leaves Borussia Dortmund II to replace David Wagner,
Oburugo Gifted Eagles FC intensifies its performance
Share on WhatsApp By Johnkennedy Uzoma, Owerri The Oburugo Gifted Eagles fc Mgbuisi last Sunday intensified its performance during their last friendly game with the Amicable Fc of Umuagwo in
I’m happy working with Super Eagles – Rohr
Share on WhatsApp Super Eagles manager, Gernot Rohr, has expressed pleasure working with the Nigeria national team. Nigeria became the first African country to qualify for the 2018 FIFA World Cup
Bad News For Guardiola! UEFA Chief Confirms Manchester City Will Be Banned
Share on WhatsApp Various English newspapers, including The Telegraph and the Daily Mail published articles this Thursday afternoon talking about the possibility Manchester City could be excluded from the
PSG Goalkeeper Buffon:Man Utd Stronger without Morinho.
Share on WhatsApp PSG goalkeeper Gianluigi Buffon admits Champions League opponents Manchester United are a tougher opponent without Jose Mourinho. Ole Gunnar Solskjaer has won his first three matches
Imo U- 25 Athletes to Compete in Niger Delta Maiden Sports Festival
Share on WhatsApp By Onyinyechi Nwankwo… Not less than 600 under-25 athletes drawn from the 27 Local Government Areas of Imo State will be representing the State at the Maiden








0 Comments
No Comments Yet!
You can be first to comment this post!