COVID-19: President Trump announces funding halt to World Health Organization
President Donald Trump announced Tuesday a suspension of US funding to the World Health Organization because he said it had covered up the seriousness of the COVID-19 outbreak in China before it spread around the world.
Trump told a press conference he was instructing his administration to halt funding while “a review is conducted to assess the World Health Organization’s role in severely mismanaging and covering up the spread of the coronavirus.”
According to Trump, the WHO prevented transparency over the outbreak and the United States — the UN body’s biggest funder which provided $400 million last year — will now “discuss what we do with all that money that goes to the WHO.”
“With the outbreak of the COVID-19 pandemic, we have deep concerns whether America’s generosity has been put to the best use possible.”
Trump’s attack on the WHO reflects his belief that the organization is biased toward China and colluded to prevent the United States’ main economic rival from having to be open about the unfolding health disaster.
He says this cost other countries crucial time to prepare and delayed decisions to stop international travel.
“The WHO’s attack on travel restrictions put political correctness above life-saving measures,” he said.
“Had the WHO done its job to get medical experts into China to objectively assess the situation on the ground and to call out China’s lack of transparency, the outbreak could have been contained at its source with very little death,” he said.
“This would have saved thousands of lives and avoided worldwide economic damage. Instead, the WHO willingly took China’s assurances to face value… and defended the actions of the Chinese government,” he said.
Critics have pointed out that for weeks after the coronavirus epidemic began unfolding, Trump frequently praised Beijing’s response and downplayed the danger it posed at home.
AFP
Discover more from NEWS CORNER
Subscribe to get the latest posts sent to your email.
Warning: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable in /home/mynewsco/public_html/wp-content/themes/trendyblog-theme/includes/single/post-tags-categories.php on line 7
About author
You might also like
Advertorial: Amb. Uju Hails Barr. Onuegbu on Appointment As Commissioner For Lands
Share on WhatsApp Renowned journalist and founder Uju Charity And Empowerment Initiative, UCEI Ambassador Chika Uju has congratulated Barr. Enyinnaya Onuegbu on his appointment as the Commissioner For Lands Imo
Imo NUJ Hosts 2020 Legacy Awards Wednesday 18 November, Douse Tension
Share on WhatsApp ThankGod Emeh. The Nigeria union of journalists, NUJ Imo State Council in Collaboration with Wells Network LTD has stressed its concluded arrangements to host the 2020 NUJ
Federal Poly Nekede: Bravery Defined as Dr. Basilia Igbokwe, through trials shines through
Share on WhatsApp Bravery Define —By Prayerlife Nwosu A leader born, a warrior true, Dr. Basilia Igbokwe, through trials shines through. Accused and tested, yet unbroken and strong, She rose
UCEI Set to Launch Cooperative, Empower Imo Women
Share on WhatsApp ThankGod EMEH… Frontline humanitarian organization based in Imo state, Uju Charity And Empowerment Initiative, UCEI is set to make another history around town as it gears up
Police dismiss 4 sergeants over GEJ home burglary
Share on WhatsApp The Federal Capital Territory (FCT), police command yesterday announced the dismissal of four police Sergeants found guilty of theft at the Gwarimpa, residence of President Goodluck Ebele
Imo NLC gets New Office Complex, more from State Government.
Share on WhatsApp SAYS INSTITUTIONS LIKE NLC MUST BE ENCOURAGED TO FUNCTION EFFECTIVELY Governor Rochas Okorocha has handed over an ultra-modern office Complex built and furnished by the State Government








0 Comments
No Comments Yet!
You can be first to comment this post!