Third Deadly Quake in Weeks Hits South Philippines
A powerful earthquake struck the southern Philippines on Thursday, killing at least four people and sparking searches of seriously damaged buildings that had already been rattled by two previous deadly tremors in recent weeks.
The 6.5 magnitude quake hit the island of Mindanao, the US Geological Survey said, causing locals to run to safety in the same area where a strong tremor killed eight people on Tuesday.
The powerful shaking caused serious damage to a condominium building in the major southern city of Davao, which was about 45 kilometres (28 miles) from the epicentre.
At least nine people were hurt at the building, and rescuers had launched a search to determine if residents might be trapped inside, police told AFP.
Four people were killed in nearby Cotabato province by the quake, including a local official who was crushed to death, a police official said.
AFP / Jonathan WALTERPhilippines earthquakeA hotel partially collapsed in another area, but a disaster official said the building had already been evacuated.
Locals have been left terrified by a string of powerful quakes, and hundreds of aftershocks since the first powerful tremor struck on October 16.
“I panicked and I rushed outside. I was afraid the building might collapse,” said Beth Lancian, a restaurant cashier in Davao. “There’s been an earthquake almost every week.”
President Rodrigo Duterte was in his hometown of Davao when the shaking began, but his spokesman said he was unharmed.
Some 12,000 people were already in shelters on Mindanao island before Thursday’s quake hit, the government said, either because their homes have been destroyed or they were too afraid to return to their residences.
– Landslides and debris –
The Philippines suffers regular tremors as part of the Pacific “Ring of Fire”, an arc of intense seismic activity that stretches from Japan through Southeast Asia and across the Pacific basin.
AFP / Manman DejetoA condominium complex was damaged in the quakeIn the 6.6 magnitude quake on Tuesday, a teenage boy was crushed by a falling wall as he tried to escape his school in Magsaysay, the town spokesman told AFP.
Rock and landslides unleashed by the violent shaking killed four others, while a collapsed wall crushed a man, authorities said.
AFP / EDWIN BADILLESLocals have been left terrified by a string of powerful quakesNearly 400 people were hurt, including some seven pupils and teachers hurt escaping their collapsed elementary school.
The area was still suffering the effects of a 6.4-magnitude quake that hit less than two weeks ago, killing at least five people and damaging dozens of buildings.
Residents fled homes across the Mindanao region and a mall caught fire in the city of General Santos shortly after the quake struck on October 16.
Hundreds of people were still displaced two weeks after that quake when the second one struck earlier this week, forcing thousands more from their homes.
One of the deadliest quakes to hit the Philippines recently was in April, when 16 people were killed as a building near the capital Manila collapsed and the secondary Clark airport was shut down after damage to the passenger terminal.
High-rise structures in the capital swayed after the April quake, leaving some with large cracks in their walls.
Discover more from NEWS CORNER
Subscribe to get the latest posts sent to your email.
Warning: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable in /home/mynewsco/public_html/wp-content/themes/trendyblog-theme/includes/single/post-tags-categories.php on line 7
About author
You might also like
๐ฅ๐ฒ๐ฝ๐ ๐๐ฑ๐ผ๐ฝ๐๐ ๐๐ต๐ถ๐ฑ๐ผ๐ธ๐ฎ’๐ ๐ ๐ผ๐๐ถ๐ผ๐ป ๐ฆ๐ฒ๐ฒ๐ธ๐ถ๐ป๐ด ๐ฅ๐ฒ๐บ๐ผ๐๐ฎ๐น ๐ผ๐ณ ๐๐น๐น ๐๐ต๐ฒ๐ฐ๐ธ๐ฝ๐ผ๐ถ๐ป๐๐ ๐๐ฟ๐ผ๐บ ๐๐ฎ๐ด๐ผ๐, ๐๐ฏ๐๐ท๐ฎ ๐ง๐ผ ๐ฆ๐ผ๐๐๐ต๐ฒ๐ฎ๐๐
Share on WhatsApp The House of Representatives has asked the Inspector-General of Police and other heads of security agencies to dismantle all road blocks from Lagos and Abuja to the
Princess Faith Gilbert mourns Late Chief Emmanuel Iwuanyanwu, says he left indelible marks
Share on WhatsApp By Chinenye Chukwuma… As the remains of late Chief Emmanuel Iwuanyanwu, Aha Eji Aga Mba Ndi Igbo was interred on Friday 1st November, 2024, sister in-law to
Baptist Women charged on Virtue at Mothering Sunday
Share on WhatsApp Ikenna Orioha, OWERRI. Baptist women are charged to uphold Godliness and good conduct in order to live fruitfully with their families at all times. President, lmo Baptist
Nigeria@59: โAll Is Not Well With Nigeria,โ Atiku Cries Out
Share on WhatsApp Former Vice President Atiku Abubakar has decried what he described as an attack on the judiciary and absence of press freedom in the country. In a statement
Governor Emeka Ihedioha Shutdown Orji Bridgeย
Share on WhatsApp By Francis Emekwe. The State governor, Chief Emeka Ihedioha has ordered the immediate closure of the Orji flyover built by the immediate past governor. This is in
Hon Kingsley Uju Meets NEMA, Others Over Flooding, Insecurity in S’East …Reassures Constituents of Better Days
Share on WhatsApp By Ikenna Orioha In order to contain Flooding and Insecurity in the South East particularly Imo State, the member representing Ohaji/Egbema/Oguta/Oru West Federal Constituency in the House








0 Comments
No Comments Yet!
You can be first to comment this post!