Samsung Heir Apologises Over Corruption Scandal
The heir to the Samsung empire bowed in apology Wednesday for company misconduct including a controversial plan for him to ascend to the leadership of the world’s largest smartphone maker.
Lee Jae-yong is vice-chairman of Samsung Electronics and was jailed for five years in 2017 for bribery, embezzlement and other offences in connection with the scandal that brought down South Korean president Park Geun-hye.
The 51-year-old was released a year later on appeal but is currently undergoing a retrial.
“We are recognised for our top-class technology and products but the public eye towards Samsung is still critical,” Lee said.
“This is all because of our shortcomings. This has been my fault and I offer my sincere apology,” he added.
He promised there would be “no more controversy” over his promotion, pledging: “I will never take any actions that go against the law.”
Lee bowed three times before flashing cameras at a Samsung Electronics office in Seoul, where reporters sat apart under coronavirus distancing rules.
Speaking in steady tones and swallowing occasionally, Lee — whose grandfather founded the Samsung Group — said he would end the line of family succession.
“I do not plan to pass down my role to my children,” he said. “This is something I have thought about for a long time but have been hesitant to express it openly.”
Wednesday’s apology came at the request of Samsung’s compliance committee, which oversees the firm’s transparency in its corporate dealings.
Lee has effectively been at the helm of the sprawling Samsung group since his father and group chairman Lee Kun-hee was left bedridden by a heart attack in 2014.
The court case centred on millions of dollars the Samsung group paid Park’s secret confidante Choi Soon-sil, allegedly for government favours including ensuring a smooth transition for Lee to succeed his ailing father.
The scandal highlighted shady connections between big business and politics in South Korea, with the ousted president and her friend accused of taking bribes from corporate bigwigs in exchange for preferential treatment.
Samsung Electronics is the flagship subsidiary of the group, which is by far the biggest of the family-controlled conglomerates, or chaebols, that dominate business in the world’s 12th-largest economy.
Its overall turnover is equivalent to a fifth of the national gross domestic product and it is crucial to South Korea’s economic health.
Chairman Lee Kun-hee is listed as South Korea’s richest man — and the world’s 65th — by Bloomberg Billionaires, with a fortune estimated at $15.7 billion. Lee Jae-yong has a separate listing of his own with a net worth of $5.7 billion.
- ‘No union’ –
In March the Samsung compliance committee — which was set up in response to a court order — said many “disgraceful” incidents involving the Samsung Group were linked to an alleged succession scheme for Lee and advised him to apologise publicly.
It also recommended that Lee address Samsung’s previous “no labour union” policy.
For almost 50 years Samsung successfully avoided the unionisation of its workers — sometimes adopting ferocious tactics according to critics — until last November.
“I would like to express my deepest apology for everyone who has been pained by labour issues at Samsung,” Lee said, adding: “From now on, I will make sure that Samsung is not criticised for ‘union-free management’.”
The company will guarantee workers’ rights — including forming and joining trade unions, bargaining collectively and engaging in peaceful assembly — and act in accordance with employment regulations, he added.
Samsung reported a slight fall in first quarter net profit last month at 4.88 trillion won ($4 billion), citing impacts of the coronavirus pandemic.
But the firm — which saw operations suspended at 11 overseas assembly lines — warned of further falls to come as consumer demand is “significantly” hit by the disease.
AFP
Discover more from NEWS CORNER
Subscribe to get the latest posts sent to your email.
About author
You might also like
Dozie denies Access take over of Diamond, says merger process to be completed 2019
Share on WhatsApp The board of Diamond Bank Plc on Monday finally announced its merger with Access Bank Plc expected to be completed in first half of 2019. In the
Smart Investment Alert! Own Your Dream Home, Property Today in Heart of New Lagos โ Ibeju Lekki
Share on WhatsApp In a fast-growing real estate market where smart investments determine future wealth, EUC Homes is once again setting the pace with premium property opportunities located in the
EUC Ramadan Promo Ends April 16th
Share on WhatsApp EUC Homes, the home of luxury and comfort across the Country is at it again with promotional sales in the spirit of Ramadan for that your dream
Senate passes Bill to autonomize Nigerian Financial Intelligence Agency
Share on WhatsApp The Senate has passed a bill seeking to establish the Nigerian Financial Intelligence Agency (NFIA) as an autonomous body. This followed adoption of the harmonised report of
Etisalat Nigeria Rebrands to 9Mobile…
Share on WhatsApp Embattled telecommunications provider, Etisalat Nigeria has changed its name to 9Mobile following the pull out of Etisalat International. Etisalat in Abu Dhabi pulled out of Nigeria on
FG to make Nigerian Goods, Services acceptable in International Market -UNIDO
Share on WhatsApp The United Nations Industrial Development Organisation (UNIDO) has in a three day Media Capacity Building workshop for the sustainability of the National Quality infrastructure Project that ended in Lagos called








0 Comments
No Comments Yet!
You can be first to comment this post!